Monday, July 27, 2009

a work in progress

I'm working on a commissioned house portrait and thought it would be fun to post images as I work through the piece.


This is one of the photos that I was give as reference. There are several photos taken in various seasons and times of day. I like this one because I can see much of the structure and was able to work our the proportions of the house using this and the other photos.



The thumbnail with the proportions from which I made my larger drawing. When breaking the building down to a grid I figured the house is two squares high by 13 squares wide. When dividing each square into thirds, I learn that size and placement of windows/doors fall in those thirds.



This is the drawing done from the thumbnail. From here I'll begin applying pastel. This gives me an accurate rendering of the structure before I begin painting. This seems a little tight but I'm sure it will loosen up as begin the painting.

No comments: